This program is for workers who:
- have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory
- want to live in that province, and
- want to become permanent residents of Canada
Each province and territory has its own “streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and requirements. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target:
- business people
- skilled workers
- semi-skilled workers
Understand the application options
How you will apply depends on which Provincial Nominee Program stream you’re applying to. You might need to apply using the paper-based process, or by the online process through Express Entry.
As part of the process, you will have to pass a medical exam and get a police check (certificate). Everyone must have these checks, no matter where they plan to live in Canada.
In the paper-based process:
- You apply to the province or territory for nomination under a non-Express Entry stream.
- You need to meet the eligibility requirements of the province that nominates you.
- Once you have been nominated, you submit a paper application for permanent residence to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- You have to pass a medical exam and get a police check (certificate). Everyone must have these checks, no matter where you plan to live in Canada.
- Application processing times are longer than through Express Entry.
Express Entry process
In the online Express Entry process, there are 2 ways to apply:
- You contact the province or territory and apply for a nomination under an Express Entry stream.
- If the province or territory agrees to nominate you, you create an Express Entry profile (or update your profile if you already have one) and show you have been nominated.OR
- You create an Express Entry profile and show the provinces and territories you’re interested in.
- If a province or territory sends you a “notification of interest” to your account, you contact them directly.
- You apply to their Express Entry stream:
- If you’re nominated, the province will offer it to you through your account, and you accept it electronically.
In both cases:
- You must meet the eligibility requirements of the province or territory. And,
- You must submit an Express Entry profile and show that you meet the minimum criteria for Express Entry, including being eligible for one of the immigration programs it covers.
- If you are invited to apply, you submit an electronic application to IRCC.